Saturday, November 13, 2010

Part 2 - Am I a stalker now?

So the second part is here.
For the uninitiated ones, here's the first part of the story which I'm presenting to you in the format of a series.
___

It's raining now. Not heavily....but in a light, steady drizzle. The atmosphere has a sombre mood marked by the absence of a cool breeze and a humid ickiness that people hate the most. The cloud cover makes the night resemble even darker...more ominous.

I cross over to the other side of the street as the signal turns green, looking at the black stub of my umbrella somewhat in amusement mingled with disbelief.

Two months back I would've never bothered carrying around such a thing. Me and an umbrella don't really fit into the same scenario. I have a tendency to lose things too often.

It's almost 8 o'clock and the streets are fast emptying out. All around I glimpse tired faces of people returning from work, eager to get back to the comfort of their homes.

Why am I walking around so aimlessly? In my quest for replenishing the stock of stationery items I seem to have wandered far off from my neighborhood.

Meeting her outside the lab that day was clearly a stroke of bad luck.

Speaking of which.....she can't be working today right?
Of course not. It's much too late for that.

I stop right in front of the mall, hesitate for a moment and then boldly march inside. I've to buy stuff after all.

"I'm NOT here to verify my assumptions. NO."

I've been here so many times since the past two months that even if I were blind right now I would've been able to make my way from the revolving glass doors to the elevator without bumping into a solid object.

As the elevator starts moving upwards I experience a faintly familiar sense of nausea. But then again I don't feel half as uneasy as I used to before.

Not quite out of the blue my phone starts vibrating in my pocket for the third time that evening. Thank god I put it on silent mode otherwise I would've earned myself a few looks of disgust from the those inside this cramped space. My ring-tone is a Nightwish track after all.

"Man...where the heck are you? the beer's flowing in here....stop being such a wimp an......"

I sigh in frustration before interrupting.

"Rahil I'm busy tonight okay?.....I got stuff to do."

"Yeah like what Gaurav? mope over some weird girl who dumped you for a weirder reason?"

"Dude.....you're drunk. And she ain't weird." I say through gritted teeth and disconnect the call.

By the time I'm inside the convenience store...I'm still practicing breathing in and out. I don't swear at the slightest provocation...at least not any longer.

I pass by the numerous shelves of neatly stacked groceries and make way towards the required section a wee bit stealthily.

But of course she can't be...

"Avni..." My voice comes in a hoarse whisper as soon as my eyes confirm her presence.

There she is...at the very last counter at the far end of the section housing lifestyle products, trying to appear as dignified as possible in that ridiculous cap and apron, wearing her best courteous smile....jabbing away at the keyboard keys and handing over the slip to a customer...and proving all my suspicions right.
She looks as energetic as she must have looked in the morning...but I know she is ready to drop down dead on a warm, cosy bed.

Forgetting all about what I needed to buy.....I storm outside, fuming.

__

---> Part 3 - Catharsis
Photobucket

12 comments:

Anish said...

A good follow up to the last part.But I didn't understand-why did he storm out instead of going and talking to her?

Nethra said...

From guy's point of view...nice! Now I wanna read further. What happens next?

P@ul@mi said...

right fast please!! pretty please!!

Sayandeep Kundu said...

Yes.. it is very interesting..let's see what happens...:)

Sayandeep Kundu said...

But really, you have a lot of potential to become an author in your future..
To me, it is such an interesting style of telling a story..Though I find myself too much into poetry, I am keen on writing such short stories in future.. It's pretty interesting..
Moreover, poetry is just so flexible that you have to waver between different facets of your persona or of somebody or something-your observation, while in the game of stories, you have to masquerade between different characters to etch them out...fascinating job indeed..akin to the poetic pleasure if it's allowed to be one..

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

wow..i wanna read the next..hmm..im also wondering why he just storm outside..why didn't he just face her?

Samadrita said...

@Anish and Ayu: Thanks. Well the answer to your question lies in the story and the title itself. The guy doesn't want to be found out..especially. Or maybe there's some other reason :P keep reading you will know.

@Nethra: Sure. What happens next...who knows? :P

@Sayandeep: Wow thank you for the praise. Writing a story is indeed a tough job...and I might make many mistakes. But please do bear with me. :)

@Paulami: Sure haha. Just gimme some time to write it so you all don't bash me up for letting you down. :P

swathipradeepworld said...

LOVELY!!
Bring it on!! Unique love story!!

Bikramjit said...

:) well I dont remember if i commented on this one or the previous one now .. :)

well Sammy NAICEEEEEEEeeee
I now dont know shud i wat for all the parts to come together or read at a time .. I tend to forget :)

Loved the story ...

Bikram's

Purba said...

I like the way you make your readers feel the story. And beautiful imagery too. But why storm out fuming, if he's stalking her?

evanescentthoughts said...

nice story girl.. read both the parts in one shot..

Btw when I tried opening your site earlier, I got this malware detected msg.. maybe it is because of some widget of yours:
"The website at musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com contains elements from the site www.anirbansaha.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer"

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

i see a future best-selling author in ya girl....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...