Thursday, November 11, 2010

Part 1 - Distance

The monotonous droning of our professor on circular queues, stacks and trees never used to bore me so much before. In fact I was usually the one telling others to pay attention since we took the pain to show up in class in the first place. The least we could do was keep the whispering in hushed voices to a bare minimum, take notes and stop distracting the regular geek-crowd, who for obvious reasons shoot us with looks of pure loathing now and then.

But then why does attending this class today seem equivalent to enduring some form of cruel punishment?

I almost want to succumb to my weariness from last night's shift at the store or stare out the window overlooking our sprawling campus where I can spot the class-ditchers or just get up and leave the class-room ignoring the teacher's death-glare or even better...go enjoy a casual smoke in some dark corner without anyone noticing.

No wait...I can't do that. Rather I won't.

"Yo...you alright?"

I hear someone asking me a question in a half-apprehensive tone and my slower-than-usual brain takes several seconds to register Manasvi's familiarly hoarse voice.

"Mmm...hmmm"  I mumble incoherently, my head propped on my folded left arm resting on the desk while my right hand keeps jotting down the teacher's explanation at top speed.

By the time the class ends...it feels as if eons have passed and I've lived bearing witness to centuries of history.

Gosh what is wrong with me?

"Dude....you should've cut class today....you're clearly straining yourself."  Manasvi chides me as we make our way outside the confines of the classroom into the long corridor outside.

She and I are often 'lovingly' referred to as a couple. I tell her others are jealous of our friendship. And this makes her viciously happy for some reason.

" 'Dudette' " I correct her for the umpteenth time since the last two years and go on to add  "I'm fine...really. I could totally run in a marathon right now and win first place."

My tom-boyish best friend offers me a half-annoyed, half-reproachful look at this point.

I make a mental note to myself that I need to learn how to lie more convincingly.

"Avni...I know you miss hi...."

"Dude...let's go get a burger shall we?" I cut across in a mock-Manasvi tone, grab her arm and rush across the corridor in a sudden display of energy.....'cause I don't want her to finish the sentence.

And at this inopportune moment the computer lab doors open. Just my luck.

The same pair of stupid red converse shoes, faded over-used jeans, the sparkly gay ear-stud, the familiar black-rimmed geeky glasses perched on the bridge of his nose factoring in the intelligent quotient into his unexpectedly kind face, the obnoxious, cocky swagger.....

He stops in his tracks to look at me just for a second...before walking away without a word. And I realize why time seems to have been passing so slowly for me these days....

Just how on earth...did I end up dating such a guy?

"Avni...." There's a nervous and awkwardly gentle edge to Manasvi's voice this time, I can detect.

"I hate those shoes..." I mutter.

__

 
Part 2 - Am I stalker now?



Sig 2

16 comments:

Anish said...

hmm..you just love love stories doncha?Not much to go by here as this is just the start-but a guy wearing geeky glasses is pretty unlikely to wear ear studs.. :P

P@ul@mi said...

loved the beginning. waiting for the rest. take your time but don't keep us waiting for too long :)

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

wow..i wanna read the next..:P

seems like the protagonist is somewhat tsundere~ hehe..kawaii..

esp. wehn she said "i HATE THOSE SHOES..":3

Nethra said...

Nice beginning. Initially, I supposed that the story was for real. Now, waiting for the next part. :)

Prateek said...

Where is the next part, where is the next part. (Shouting).....
This was awesome. :)

Samadrita said...

@Anish: Hehe which woman doesn't? :P well in any case I know of guys who wear those emo black-rimmed fake glasses and sport ear-studs too.

@Paulami: I'll try and post the next part as soon as possible. Bear with me please. :)

@ayu: Hmm...that's a valid assumption. :P wait and watch.

@Nethra: Whenever first person narrative is used I guess there's the risk of it being taken as a real incident. But this is in no way connected to me....trust me. :-)

Samadrita said...

@Prateek: Will post it soon. I promise. :D just hang on for a while.

Jaspreet said...

Interesting! was totally engrossed in reading the first part when it ended....now waiting for you to post the next part soon :)

Sayandeep Kundu said...

Starts off with a pretty interesting beginning.. waiting for more..:)

Selenium said...

When I read this line - "The same pair of stupid red converse shoes..." I immediately repulsed because I actually hate the Red Converse shoes that some people around me wear...

But I didn't expect the last few lines to resonate with my thoughts XD

Let's hope this thing hasn't got cliff hangers... -__-

Waiting for the rest of it :)
Will comment once this arc/story is over.

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

well.. first of all...kya angrezi hai tera wow... had to read from beginning twice...my voca is very poor.

The beginning was splendid, you got our attention... ab aage? Do post next part soon.

Purba said...

Series is a good idea, don't have to worry about overshooting, can concentrate on building up the story.

Plus you leave all your readers waiting for more :)

Bikramjit said...

so when's the next part out..

I dont like the series , I ahve this problem I dont have PATIENCE at alll hmmmm I guess i will ahve to wait now :(

so far interesting start.. cant wait for the next one :) jaldi jaldi



Bikram's Question time

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

@sammy: yup..haha..well..i havent watched tsubasa yet..but i heard its really nice though its better if the story is just the continuation of card captor sakura with syaoran and sakura getting along in highschool or college..

wisewit said...

Love story? The fist bit sounds more like a hate story to me. Oh, I forgot, isn't that the same thing anyway. (!?) Really, I have a hard time telling the difference between a love story and a hate story. :)

Anyway, you kept me reading, so I'd say it's a pretty good story so far.

Your writing style is pretty solid now, but I did notice one place where you said "outside" twice in the same sentence. Seems like only one of those was necessary. :)

wisewit

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

ok...this is how the love story started....oh im loving it....plz write the 5th part soon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...