Thursday, November 18, 2010

The other side of the coin

Last couple of months have been educational for me in more ways than one. It's a tad difficult task to explain how and why without using metaphors or resorting to ambiguity. Maybe I could say that I learned a lot about human nature and myself.

Judging by the interactions I have/had with people in the real and virtual worlds, most of them are intent on believing their perspectives as truth...and no matter how reasonable this may sound to each of one of us it is actually quite preposterous in a way.
 
How can one possibly forget the fact that they may or may not be correct? Having unwavering faith in your opinions is good, but maybe it's better to come to a conclusion after you've looked at the matter at hand from an entirely different angle or somebody else's viewpoint.
Imagine a world where everyone is talking at the same time and nobody is listening. How absurd will that be?

Many use the word 'hypocrite' in sentences all too frequently. Unfortunately enough, some get the spelling wrong and rest get the meaning wrong. There's nobody on this planet who hasn't ever been a hypocrite in his or her life. So maybe next time before blurting out this word as a form of insult meant for someone else we should analyze our own actions and cross-check whether we really are in a position to be pointing fingers at others.


There are those in this world who have no conscience and can never reform or redeem themselves, but more often than not it is our fault for letting them do as they wish. People prefer to stay mum on issues in order to save their own skin or be mute spectators and let events unfold as they may. And once all the mayhem is done they will sigh and say things along the lines of 'Ahh what a mess!'.


If you have something to say, say it. If you want to maintain a diplomatic silence regarding a subject then stick to that decision till the very end. After all it's not a sin to have a sense of self-preservation or a 'It's-none-of-my-business' kind of attitude. However don't try to jump on the bandwagon later to have a go at criticizing just because it's the popular thing to do. Believe it or not, having double standards is possibly one of the most despicable character traits ever.

So before outright rejecting my thoughts, pause for a minute and think about it.

P.S: Even if this post hurts your sentiments, I'm unapologetic about it. For this piece of writing was not only meant for you but for me as well. 
P.P.S: The story will have to wait for the moment....given the dreaded exam season is back once again to torment lazy engineering students.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Anish said...

Well I think no one can judge whose opinion is right or wrong-everyone thinks their opinions are right how do you know what really IS right?to judge that one has to be neutral and no one is neutral because everyone has an opionion on a topic.nothing's actually right or wrong-it's like a coin with two sides-the world isn't in black and white as we believe.Shades of grey too exist.But then that's just like my opinion.

The important thing to remember is not to try to impose one's opinions on another.If you see you can't agree then agree to disagree.

And I absolutely agree about hating things just because it's popular to do so or because the majority loves it and you have to show your different.Likes and dislikes should be personal.


Good post btw.I usually don't write long comments but this post is thought-provoking.

Bikramjit said...

End of the day its one'e own Opinion, thats the whole point of it .. why shud it be wrong or right ..

what is right for you may be wrong for me or viceversa ..

a good post

Bikram's

Lakshmi Rajan said...

Ah loved that leo Tolstoy's quote. About the rest of your views, well, so many people, so many types, varied nature and we can't allow ourselves to be hurt by another one's indifference or actions.

Nethra said...

Hey, I always think about changing myself and along with me, the world. :P
And I know what inspired you to write this but no matter how much we try to prove our point, which is right, they wouldn't understand. They are thick skinned you know.

By the way, I'm waiting for the story. Don't take too long, alright?

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

well..this really should be read by everyone..im sure many will react on it and can possibly relate from it..well i must confess i also have that 'it's-none-of-my-business' kind of attitude..i agree with you..its so wrong to criticize when its the popular thing to do..

well..on the good side i am not the one who believes what my opinion is always right..since i really want others opinions regarding almost everything that i do..haha..sometimes it gives them annoyance..:P

anyway, i'll try changing myself a bit..i know its not good..many i just used to protect myself..


RE@sammy: certainly..all unsolved mysteries about this story will gonna show up on the last part ^^

Giribala said...

Sammy, best wishes for your exams! I believe that we should concentrate on doing our best, everything else will follow. I don't want to waste my time and energy on adamant people with completely different point of view.

wisewit said...

I really don't like asserting an opinion if all I can say to support it is that it's my opinion. I think an idea is only worth asserting when it has been compared to other people's ideas and other people have compared their ideas to it and it has withstood all those tests. But in that case, there is a sense in which it is no longer my opinion.

When I find myself uncomfortable looking at other people's ideas, I begin to wonder if maybe I'm just afraid my ideas won't stand the test.

wisewit

Alka Gurha said...

Yes, everyone thinks of changing others...It takes courage to accept other view points and change ones own mindset. Life is not black and white...there are shades of grey all over.

harika said...

hi Samadrita,
I have been following ur blog recently.I particularly identified myself with ur post.I had similar experience with my so called friend.I thought to reform her,but became a mess myself with all those faulty people around her.I thought of restraining myself from her...and to be in that 'diplomatic silence' part.
Anyway i vote u for ur opinion.

Purba said...

It was a messy issue and everyone had an opinion to express. I maintained a distance because there was so much negativity and it made me uncomfortable. And who are we to judge??

Tanay said...

Why should this post hurt anyone? It is a really apt idea, which I myself believe in. I am fed up aggressive people everywhere who don't try to think from more perspectives than one — their own. The remark on the word "hypocrite" was needed. Good work. Perfectly reflects my own views.

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

I liked your opinion about opinions...this post is like a reality check...Loved what you wrote...as usual....
(Lately i havnt been following your blog regularly...because im facing the ill-famed "writers block"...resulting in my lack of interest in blogging...but will be back soon)

Sayandeep Kundu said...

Double standards..Most despicable trait of a character....
Yeah..I agree with you..:)
Another great post...
It has once again spurred the urge of the solipsist in me..But let me share with you one thing..
at times battle of conscience may prove very lethal if it borders on insanity..and may also give rise to
a conflict that sets a perfect stage for multiple shades in your persona..and then you have to keep hunting for what's real in you and what's really unreal/fake.

Love and Regards~
Sayandeep

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

:)

D2 said...

Changing oneself, I believe, is the first step to accepting others in what they are. This doesn't mean we mould ourselves to suit others' needs. It means that we realise our own hypocritical nature, whenever it crops up. Acceptance is key.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...