Tuesday, July 06, 2010

I am a girl but...

When Guria and Nethra tagged me with this I must confess I was in a bit of a fix. Now before you go on assuming that I'm one of those people who have never had the fortune(or misfortune) of committing any sins against gender stereotypes let me tell you that's so not the case.
It's just that I've never been a privileged member of the 'tomboy' class. Never climbed up a tree or beat up a guy. (slapping doesn't count right? :P)

But even so it turns out I've ended up doing/experiencing a whole lotta things that might contribute to my unfeminine side. Don't really know whether these things are really something to be embarrassed about or be proud of but here goes-


  • I remember possessing only two dolls in my childhood. One of them,a Barbie in a pink princess-y sort of a dress(a birthday gift from my unsuspecting parents who had no idea that their daughter had no interest in pretty dolls) always adorned the wall-cabinet in our living room, meaning I never touched it. I was more fascinated with board games like carom or chess and addicted to jigsaw puzzles. I remember one favorite game being 'Around the world' where you needed to brush up on your GK to play well. Unfortunately enough I found few takers for that game.
  • Till the age of 9, few people could tell I was a girl. Blame my short hair or the fact I was seldom dressed in dainty little frocks or skirts for that. (why mother why?)
  • I have always gotten along with guys well and found myself a misfit among a group of giggling girls discussing the latest hook-up or break-up,be it in school or now in college. In fact I was always the last one to know the latest piece of gossip. Till date the lives of people with whom I'm not related to in a direct way fail to interest me. Predictably I have a greater number of male friends.
  • I detest shopping especially when it involves multiple trips to all probable places of purchase and comparing notes regarding which one of them offers you the best bet. I find the whole routine too strenuous and boring for my likes. So I dump it on the shoulders of my mommy dearest who 1)has impeccable taste and 2)loves shopping while I just express my approval or disapproval as I tag along. Don't get me wrong I love fashionable clothes,shoes and watches. I just hate shopping for them.
  • I swear by my eye-liner and kajal but I hate the stuff that goes by the name of blusher, mascara, lip-color and eye-shadow and gives you the appearance of a circus clown. I lounge about in a pair of trousers that could well be from the 90's,an over-sized t-shirt (with a hole or two in it sometimes) and unkempt bed hair for the major part of a day when I'm at home. I am capable of bringing forth the most-annoyed-expression-ever on my face when I'm asked to put on a face pack.
  • Every birthday while mom suggests I get a pair of earrings or a diamond pendant perhaps I demand a Blackberry or an iPod or a digicam instead. I have always harbored a strong dislike for jewellery. I especially despise wedding jewellery commercials on tv. I mean WHO in their right minds would want to be burdened under the weight of so much gold on 'supposedly' the best day of their lives?-Okay don't answer that. Maybe everybody would. :|
  • I had my first brush with cooking at the age of 14 and I know how to make egg,chicken curry,rice,dal and all kinds of fries. Barring that I'm a complete noob. And I have zero interest in learning how to prepare gourmet dishes or the aspects of garnishing. I feel ticked off when my hands itch/sting after I have chopped a few green chillies or when they smell strongly of garlic throughout the day. I don't even wanna imagine how I'll smell if I attempt to make fish curry. In short I hate cooking.
  • I have never shared an amicable relationship with kids. I fail miserably at cooing a baby to sleep or keeping an eye on a toddler. Basically I suck at baby-sitting. I have only gotten along with those who are well-behaved and don't insist on yanking off a tuft of my hair. But despite my woes I've always been surprised to find that kids like ME. (probably because they have a gala time bullying me around and/or watching me suffer)
  • I have once deliberately gotten inside a men's washroom just because it looked much cleaner than the women's one. Nobody was inside at the moment. But while getting out I encountered a lost-looking fellow who was so astonished to see me that I noticed him glancing at the signboard stuck to the door atleast 3 times to be sure. I managed to flash him a brilliant smile and escape somehow.
So here it is. The unwomanly me.
Now I want YOU to list your sins against gender stereotypes. So I'll be tagging-Karthik, Pawan, heavealie, Anish, Lazy Pineapple, Chatterbox, Pramoda, Sid, Ayu, Rakesh, Writu, wisewit, The Ketchup Girl, Deeps.
But let's just say all of you who are reading this are tagged.

P.S:A big thank you to IHM for creating such an interesting tag and to Ugich Konitari for making this awesome badge. Had a lot of fun writing this post.


Sig 2

32 comments:

evanescentthoughts said...

Even I liked playing jigsaw puzzles, chess etc more :) Entering men's washroom. That fellow must've had a heartattack :)) Nice to know more about you :)

Nethra said...

First of all, glad that you did the tag. Now, we know the unfeminine side of you. ;)
By the way, bad that you didn't beat up anyone. :P
You got into men's washroom? That's gross. Wasn't it stinking? :-/

Anish said...

First girl I came across who doesn't like shopping or dolls...but those are good traits... :D

and you know how to make A LOT of dishes-as a matter of fact I think most modern girls know this much only so don't feel bad...you aren't aspiring to be a chef in a 5 star hotel anyway :P :D

and kids suck :X little brats!!!

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

aaaha... startge that so many of u girls taking up the tag r confessing that u hate shopping... quite surprising... anyways made a nice read... nice to know about u this way :)

♪ Tharangni ♪ said...

woah! i agree with you on the kido parts. me to never liked them because they keep staring and looking at me strangely. i freaks me out. :) but i can cook. only egg though! :D learnt in 6th cuz mom made it amazing and now i can beat her in it :) chopping onions thin, love it! fat- hate it! so i chop on my own, thin slices :) but other than that i can make dosa and chapati and the ready-made stuff available in the market :) but i like the kitchen because i can do my own experiments with food!!! :D

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

lolz! i never imagine you to be like that! but it's okay..i have lots of unfeminine side also..i even got to the point of hating girls whose so feminine!haha :D

voicefromadistantstar.blogspot.com

Deeps!! said...

loved reading urs.. n thanks for the tag.. i'm gonna love doing it.. but u know.. the kajal and eyeliner portion.. is like my line completely! and so is having all friends who are guys..! well lets see how many more things i can come up with!! :D

D2 said...

Nice one. :D
Good to know that you're different!
I, however, am pretty much a stereotypical male, with maybe the exceptions that I love kids and romance(only when I'm in love, otherwise it's the worst thing imaginable!). hehe
Well written, o unconventional one!

Lazy Pineapple said...

thanks for tagging me :)
Will pick up this Tag soon...
Naughty girl..wandered in a men's loo? tch tch.. :P

The Guy said...

Ha ha! :D Thnx for the tag! I read the whole thing, and I was reading the comments...there I found differences of opinion. One guy said you are the first girl he came across who doesn't like shopping, and the other said he came across many! :P We are soo Confused when it comes to Women! :P

And P.S My first day in the new school, I went to women's washroom! :P *Hi5*

Lakshmi Rajan said...

---I have once deliberately gotten inside a men's washroom just because it looked much cleaner than the women's one.---


LOL :D that's quiet adventurous, You can get away from that but we can't if we dare to :P

Samadrita said...

@Avada: Haha actually no it was pretty clean compared to the women's one and nobody was inside. So it was pretty okay for me until I saw that fellow coming in as I prepared to go out.

@Nethra: It was cleaner than the women's one. That's why I got inside in the first place. Btw this was at Pantaloons. xD Yea thanks for tagging me again!

@Anish: Kids aren't that bad it's just that I can't deal with them.

@Tavish: Not all women are the same. Some love shopping while some don't :)

@Tharangni: Wow you love cooking. Will you take me as an apprentice? :P

@ayu: It's good to have an unfeminine side. Adds to our charm. :P do the tag btw!

Samadrita said...

@Deeps: Hehe I told you na you'll love the tag? :)

@D2: Unconventional one. Haha that fits me I guess. Btw take up the tag if you'd like to :)

@Lazy P: I had no other option :( women's one was dirty. :P

@Rakesh: Like I said before not all women are same :P you went to the women's washroom? LOL in my case I did it deliberately.

@Lakshmi Rajan: Yea it's probably the only daredevil thing I've ever done. Tee hee :D

D2 said...

oh no i don't think i would do it justice! Because though I have walked into a girl's restroom, I was very sleepy off a long road trip and it was unintentional!
Good going, by the way. Never knew a girl who did that! :D

Arjit Srivastava said...

You made this an interesting read. I find it weird, or, is it embarrassing for you girls to accept that you love shopping? Or, do you actually hate shopping? :P

Aparna said...

really sammy you are such a tomboy

well we are opposites..i have my collection of barbies safe even now :)


and i love shopping!

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

Hey Loved this....brings out your amazing sense of humour...i totally agree with you regarding the make-up and kids thingy.....and thanks for tagging me...i would love writing something of this sort

Usha Pisharody said...

Great! Men's room? Wow, SIN!

Lol! Loved reading the list, as I have been saying on all the sites I am visiting today, from the FB group... :) The world is now getting to be a great place to be in :)

And yes, thanks to IHM, for initiating this!

Hayaah said...

he he... make up aka war paint is what I call it... I only allow weddings to be an excuse to paint myself and no I cant stand the cake that they call a new skin, even then!

Guys are more fun, for sure... I cant stand the giggly goofs who cant get enough of jewellery shoe and clothes talk... I shop only when i have to, and then too, i prefer to hit and run at the minimallest (word?) :D

LOL @ braving a men's lavitory... kudos to you on that. I never thought ever live to hear of a ''cleaner'' men's room!

HAH!

varsha said...

Sammadrita! may i call you Sammy?Loved the post and your gender bender experiences.I always feel too feminine is fake:real gals are selectively feminine:))

Being Pramoda... said...

Hi Samadrita..

thanks fr tagging first of all..:)..

nice tag..

i too used to have short hair, i had it till 9th class or so..

hehe..men's room?? was imaging smtime u doing that while reading..hehe..

enjoyed reading this.. Thank you.

wisewit said...

I can't even imagine a men's room in America being cleaner than a woman's room!

To my mind, a girl who puts on any makeup is maybe a bit too girly. I actually knew one who didn't. She was one of the best friends I've had but never a girlfriend.

Sorry I don't have time to comment properly, but I have to cook my lunch now. (?!) :)

Oh yes, there's lots of dirt on me, but it may be a while before I can respond to your tag. :)

wisewit

varsha said...

Sammy love your blog and your gender-bender capers.Methinks too feminine is fake and real women are less concerned abt womanly latka-jhatkas.

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

RE@sammy: not really..it's just the first movie with an 'A' on its title that pops into my mind..hehe..:D

and thanks for liking the drawings i made,.it's not from cardboard cutouts but just in cartolina..:D

another RE here:haha..yeah agree!! it adds charm!! "3

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

RE:@sammy: sure..i know ive watched it before but i haven't finished it..dont worry.it's already included to my watch list ^^

btw..check out my sidebar and see my OTAKU update hehe..:D

(im sorry if i posted my reply here..)

Mee said...

Loved reading this post:) Even vibed with some parts. Then pulled back and asked myself-why do we /society draw a picture of how a girl or guy must behave (that's the rebel rearing her head-am sorry:))-not to take away from your post:)

"just a pen in my hand" said...

hey , jus read ur interview on WeBlog...nice !...and ur blog looks cool !keep blogging...!

Shas said...

Your last one was quite a daring one =)

Selenium said...

:)

He he... I'm a guy. I love cooking (whenever I get the chance) and cook a lot of stuff (like I make lunches when I go home on holidays....). And the reason why I like cooking is pretty simple -> Because I love good food :P

messymiss said...

dude...its like reading me here.....though i had no dolls & i never tried cooking.....i still don't have eyeliner ....

The Laughing Man said...

*Sigh*.... why cant all those traits become female stereotypes (except for the mens washroom and anti kids things)... I mean... I can cook... and so we wouldnt have to worry about that... LoL...

Rajendra Raikwar said...

very nice post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...