Saturday, May 08, 2010

That woman in my life


She wakes up late. So late that I can never count on her as my human alarm-clock whenever I have an early morning to deal with. Instead it's me who is assigned with the task of setting her phone alarm(and pour a bucketful of water on her if necessary) whenever she has to wake up early.

She has the annoying habit of forgetting the deadline for the payment of phone and electricity bills. So in fear of our happy lives being plunged into darkness devoid of any means of communication with the outside world (read telephone) I have taken the responsibility of remembering such important 'last dates'.

She is a brilliant cook-a fact I have to admit to. But unfortunately enough sometimes she brilliantly ends up adding too much salt in certain dishes which would have otherwise tasted like heaven.

Her Hindi is terrible to the point where it sounds unintelligible and incoherent. So whenever she is faced with the prospect of conversing with a hindi-speaking bank employee about some credit card she promptly thrusts the phone into my hands with a sheepish grin on her face.

But strangely enough this slightly clumsy person also ends up sounding like the wisest sage one would ever hope to come across in their lives.

Whenever I start losing faith in people around me she is the one who gives me the strength to 'hold on tight' and says 'Anything is possible if you believe.'
Even though I used to resent her a bit at the time I was going through my 'rebellious teen phase' I'm thankful for the things that she did to show me the right way.
No matter how hard I try I just can't keep secrets from her. Everything just comes tumbling out of my mouth the minute I start talking to her.
I understand why though. She is a friend who knows me inside out. She can always invariably sense what's on my mind even when I stay dead silent.
She can never bring herself to say 'no'-be it to the newspaper boy or the milkman or a distant relative asking for a favor. Being blessed with a generous heart has its own share of disadvantages.
And yet if the situation demands she acts out of conviction to say the loudest 'no' if something wrong is being done.
I often doubted the fact that we'll ever make it through during those sad years when we were mourning the loss of someone utterly precious and vital to our existence.
Yet we did. All thanks to her who never fails to amaze me with her perseverance and determination to overcome difficulties in life.
It's only because of her that I'm who I'm today. It's only because of her that I find the courage to defy norms, follow my heart and be myself.


She.
My best friend. My confidante. My inspiration. My reason to move forward in life even when I'm afraid of that which lies ahead. The centre of my universe-my mother.

Whenever she breaks into a random Rabindrasangeet verse while staring out the window or in the kitchen I pause in my work to listen and pray to God so that I can always be by her side like this.

I don't know what the future holds for me. I don't know what the future holds for you.

But I hope that one day I can climb onto a stage, made just for me, and make you proud. And let the whole world know how you have been the best mother and father a child can ever hope to have. How you sacrificed your career just for the sake of a 3 year-old who hated to come back to an empty apartment from school. How you've been the only one to tolerate my incessant ramblings about college and friends or books I read and movies I watch. How you've never forced any of your decisions on me but merely helped me to make the right one myself. How I have always looked up to you as my role-model....as the person I admire most.

So on this Mother's Day I take the opportunity of thanking you for everything. For endowing me with the wonderful gift of life and for showing me how to make the most of it.
A Happy Mother's Day to you mom! I love you.


P.S: I had intended to write this post on a Mother's day for a long time...but couldn't do so primarily because I usually have my exams during the month of May every year. But thanks to a Blogadda contest I finally found the motivation to write and publish something this year. Although words will always fail to describe the special bond shared between a mother and child.


Sig 2

44 comments:

Anish said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!

come to think of it...our mothers are our best friends...they make us feel so special even when we are terribly ordinary...they make us laugh when we are terriblyupset....they can do nothing wrong it seems!!!!

this post made me emotional..very well written....

Lazy Pineapple said...

awww so sweet...a very heartfelt post :) I am sure your mother must be a proud woman and hats off for her perseverance and determination...Happy Mothers day :)

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...

nice u have written it excellently..:)

Gyanban said...

very touching indeed, it is true how time flies and we get busy with our lives, somewhere taking for granted the support , the unconditional support,we have had for so many years.It s good to acknowledge even if it really doesn't justify the magnitude.

Sayandeep Kundu said...

wonderful post..nice..mother is the most precious gift we can ever possess in the universe.. :)

Nethra said...

I could kinda connect with this post because my mom is almost(not completely) same as your mom.
I love her and I am sure everyone love their moms.
Happy mother's day to my mom and also your mom. :)

Lakshmi Rajan said...

Sweet, simple, nice like the innocent selfless love of mother :) As we grow up, chart our life, It's more important to express of our love to the one who has loved us unconditionally ... Happy Mothers day to your mom, my mom and all moms of the world :)

Chatterbox said...

Simply wonderful :D
Loved the beautiful flow of emotions as you shared some amazing love filled moments you've spent with your mum over the years.

Wish you a very happy mother's day :)

Being Pramoda... said...

Hi...soo sooo touching on.. i can relate it to myself very much..:).. thanks do much fr the spl post on this spl day.. happy mother's day to ur mum..:)

SavvY said...

this is the reason mothers are amazing!! all of us feel that we have the best mother!

loved the post, specially the way u started it..

Sourav C. Pandey said...

You know Samadrita, I would have read this even if it was 10 pages long, coz this was wonderful and really special! :)

Your and my Mum are different in different ways; my Mum is the human alarm and she is the one who makes me remind everything YET similar in so many ways. I feel every mother in this world has this most special concern, common for their sons and daughters!

Ahh, I can write on and on here, I loved the last lines of your post the most !
Wish your mother from my side too, we are really lucky to have them in our lives :)

in love with me and life..and you Mum! :)

♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ ayu ♫ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ♫ said...

youre so sweet to post this..i remember my own mom just by reading this~!!!!!
!



happy mother's day to all the mothers in the world! ^_^
(p.s. check out my latest post if you have time,,.thanks :3)

Saurabh Panshikar said...

gr8 post sammy... straight from the heart... The empty apartment part really touched me...

but I don't like the fact that therez a contest for this... Nevertheless it is because of the contest that you wrote the post :)

BullsEye said...

Wow !! I loved your narration and how you maintained the flow..Very nicely Written..Moms are the best !!

Vidhu .. !! said...

Mothers - for me they remain indefinable !! I would not even wish to define them - i fear that it might ruin their sanctity some how - with any error from my side :)

I can only say - we are because of them. Life is a Mother. and Mothers are Life :)

Samadrita said...

@Anish: And you're my first commenter yet again :P
Yes I whole-heartedly agree with all you say.Moms are just like that. :)

@LP: Thank you.I hope I can make her a proud mother one day :)

@Sid:: Thankee.I tried to write this to the best of my abilities.This was a special post after all :)

@Gyanban: Rightly said. :)

@Sayandeep: Like they say God made mothers for he could not be everywhere. :)

Samadrita said...

@Nethra: Lol I guess then your and my moms will be best friends if they could get acquainted somehow. :P
Glad to know you could relate to this post.Happy Mother's Day to your mom as well.

@Lakshmi Rajan: A happy mother's day to all wonderful moms of the world.Thanks for reading btw :)

@Chatterbox: Thank you.I look forward to spending more such moments with my mom in the future as well. :)

@Pramoda: Hey there girl.Been a long time no?Got exams and stuff so couldn't catch up with your posts.But will surely do so after my exams are over.
And a Happy Mother's Day to your mom too! :)

@Savvy: Indeed they are.Thank you for liking it. :)

Samadrita said...

@Sourav; It's so good to know that you feel this passionately about your mom as well.Thank you for the lovely comment.
A happy mother's day to your mom as well. :)

@ayu: Hey girl thanks for liking it.Owing to my ensuing exams I have been unable to keep track of a lot of blogs.Will check your post when I have the time. :))

@Saurabh: Well Indusladies organizes these kinds of contests where the topic always concerns women.And btw I woulda written this article any time in the future.The contest just provided me with a reminder at an opportune moment.
Thanks for the comment :)

@bullseye: Yea moms rule! :D
Thanks for the blog visit.

Samadrita said...

@Vidhu: Yep you're indeed right.Mere words cannot ever describe our mothers.Or even come close to describing.Yet I tried...coz I wanted to write a tribute for my mom.
Thanks for the comment girl. :))

Neha said...

such a wonderful post Sammy..a mother is the most beautiful gift one can ever get..

Especially after marriage; you realise her value even more (experience speaks :P)

good luck for the contest..take care :)

Mahesh Kalaal said...

poignant and touching...
nostalgic by the emotional spills...

Niraj said...

Sweet and Touching...

Regards
Niraj
Masallalemonade.blogspot.com

pawan said...

I guess a girl could relate to this post better. I too agree with many points but I feel guys don't speak their hearts out with their Mom's at least I don't. But I start missing her the moment she from my field of view. Truly, mother is the most beautiful creation made by God.

Samadrita said...

@Neha: Yep I agree whole-heartedly.I can't even imagine a life without her :(

@Mahesh Kalaal: Ah thank you.Glad you felt that way.
Anyway welcome to my blog :)

@Niraj: :)

@pawan: Yep I understand what you mean.Girls are always invariably closer to their moms.And yes they are the best!
Glad you found the time to read.

mukul said...

heyy a very touchin post...was able to connect to it .....and the pic is superb.....

- The Virgin Author! said...

The picture is nice, and so is the post. :)

Karthik said...

My darling is quite the opposite, esp. when it comes to getting up in the morning. And that's been the problem for me since my birth. She gets up early, and wants me to do the same. :D
But still, a mother's a mother. And all of them are same.
Beautiful post, Sammy. That 'coming back to the empty apartment from school' is so true in my case as well. Exactly the same.

Thanks for writing this out, yaar. My sweetheart is in the kitchen right now. Am gonna to give her a bear hug and a kiss now.... :))

By the way didn't your darling cry when she read this? Did you show her this post?

Tell her that one of your blog buddies (that's Karthik) wished her a happy mother's day! :))

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

Hey for for being late in commenting again.....but i actually read your post the day it was posted....this year i couldnt write anything for my mom on Mothers Day beacuse of some reasons......so i made her read your post......she liked it very much.....and so great work done ...brilliant.....from me and my mom

Samadrita said...

@mukul and The Virgin Author: Thank you.Glad you could enjoy reading this one. :)

@Karthik: No I didn't show her this post yet.I dunno why I didn't but it was kinda embarassing :D
Will show her one of these days.Glad to know you liked it.And a happy mother's day to your mom from me too. :)

@Writu: Wow your mom read THIS post?Must say I'm flattered.A happy mother's day to her from my side :)

Yours truly said...

Looking forward to read the post. In a lttl rush now.

BTW.. the older hand in teh pic seems to be of a male! ;)

Rabi

Ugich Konitari said...

Samadrita,

What a great post, and congratulations on being selected as winner in the contest....And yes, I hope you do very well in your exams too... loved your post !

Ramaa said...

Samadrita,

Loved this post! The honesty, the love. :-)
Keep writing!

-Ramaa

Sandhya said...

Beautiful post and congratulations on the being selected as one of the winners!!

Shilpa said...

Beautiful post and congrats :)

Samadrita said...

@Yours truly: Yep sure.Take your time to read.
And no the hand in the picture isn't that of a male..an elderly female rather.

@Ugich Konitari: Thank you ma'am.My heartiest congratulations to you too.Although my exams got postponed somehow :P

@Ramaa: I sure will.You too keep writing.And congrats to you as well :)

@Sandhya,Shilpa: Thank you so much :)

Swaram said...

Lovely post.
'For endowing me with the wonderful gift of life and for showing me how to make the most of it.' Beautiful thoughts!

Congrats on ur win :)

PNA said...

That's amazing... and such a wonderful gift for ur mom on Mother's day:):)

Mothers are very special, I too look up to her for everything and anything, my confidant and my inspiration and my best friend and well wisher..she's all in one, I'm glad I am her daughter:):)

and u deserve to win, well expressed and straight from the heart tribute for mom:):)

cheers

Samadrita said...

@Swaram Thank you lots.Congratulations to you too although I'm yet to read our entry.I guess I'll do it after my exams get over :)

@PNA Once again thank you so much for those words.

Ankit said...

i know m commenting a bit late..i read it before but couldn't comment..it fabulous..u deserved the prize u got..u deserved more, in fact.:)

vamsi said...

People say that everything in the world is everchanging..but I dont believe in it..There is an exception called MOTHER'S_LOVE that contradicts the statement..Mothers love for a child never changes in accordance with time or space..It is rightly said that GOD MADE MOTHER AS A SUBSTITUTE TO HIMSELF..I liked the post..:)

http://prowlingnirvana.blogspot.com/

namit said...

very bful post..tribute to the ladies of our lives...

namit
do stop by http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=28218
ur feedback awaited, n promote it if u feel so... :)

Vignesh Dhakshinamoorthy said...

Just amazing Samadrita. I actually thought it as written by a guy about his G.F/Wife but it's not. You bowled me over cleanly!

Tulika Verma said...

This is such a beautiful post Samadrita! Gave me lumps in the throat....you are an amazing writer.. :)

Rajendra Raikwar said...

Awesome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...