Saturday, August 15, 2009

So much for remembrance

I actually thought that I was gonna let this pass and not even mention 15th August in my blog.But somehow I just can't.Damn this local club in my neighborhood!They have been shouting non-stop in front of the mic` all morning about this being the glorious 63rd year since our people drove the British away from this land..which was all great really.Until they started holding who-can-blow-away-the-maximum-number-of-candles-in-a-minute competitions.Not only that.They are even giving the entire neighborhood a blow-by-blow(literally) detail of how the candles are being extinguished over the mic.
Now since when did blowing away of candles started symbolizing freedom from oppression?Clue me in please,I have no idea.
It doesn't help that after being subjected to this auditory nonsense all throughout the day my mom is in a really bad mood.On top of that all the movie channels are showing either Mother India or Rang de Basanti or Lagaan or Bhagat Singh,none of which make my mother's list of favourite movies.(I was okay with Rang de Basanti though)
Right now she is jabbing her fingers into the remote buttons so furiously that I'm fearing for it's life.
Hang in there,Mr. Remote.I'd try to rescue you from the my mother's tenacious grip as soon as I start watching Gilmore Girls.
Anyway the point is..this is what an Independence Day is like in our country.Just another holiday where people are more interested in sleeping in or catching up with their favorite t.v. series(in my case) rather than attending some flag-hoisting ceremony.
But you know what sucks the most?
The fact that we don't even know what we''re supposed to do on an Independence Day.
We've no freakin' clue about how we should celebrate.
Actually the truth is we don't even want to remember.We just want our day off.That's all.

Happy Independence Day!
Whatever that means.



Sig 2

7 comments:

Atindriyo said...

:)
Awesome.......I'll light a candle for this......Happy Indiepindy Day.....
P.S. I feel sorry for the remote control and for your eardrums as well.....
:) :) :)

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

superb.............Happy Indipendence Day /sleepin day/movie watchin day/woteva day otha dan celbrtn Independence ta ya 2...........

Nightwing said...

i watched the ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE today...3 soccer matches back to back...read sphere by an american author michael crichton...and watched a british movie snatch starring american actors like brad pitt....so take a wild guess how much i care for our indendence day...

Samadrita said...

Listen to how I spent my day..watching Sweet Home Alabama in the morning,then reading Catch 22 and watching some more t.v. after that.
I don't even know whether I'm supposed to feel ashamed about this.

infracaninophile said...

"blow-by-blow(literally) detail"

Explicit.

Tathagata Ghosh said...

i am also among the same class of sufferer...got my ears plugged as the cacophonic melody which was at its high pitch from the early morning,was really hampering my preparation for the next day's exam and was literally suffocating in this freed india...

Samadrita said...

@infracaninophile:Yea it was.Trust me.*shudder*

@Tathagata:Gosh I feel sorry for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...