Saturday, July 18, 2009

Something That Doesn't Change

I connected with a long-lost school friend on Orkut a few days back. We used to be in the same section till the 10th grade and then he sort of vanished from our school and not to mention from my life. It was like one moment he was there...and in the next one he wasn't.
And then all these years have gone by. We're almost about to graduate from college. All this time we were probably just one phone call away from each other. But then none of us bothered. I guess I'd sort of accepted the fact that I was never going to see or hear from him again.
Orkut does come in handy I must say. Even though you keep getting these stupid requests for friendship from all sorts of weirdos out there...sometimes you can also get a request from an old friend, a familiar face. And the feeling it brings with it is worth all the trouble of maintaining an Orkut account.
Come to think of it there are so many people whom we come across during the course of our lives. Sometimes they stick to you for a long period of time and sometimes they don't. But no matter what life moves on. Because you don't stop walking just because somebody says goodbye along the way. As long as the path stretches in front of you..you got to walk on.
Everything changes-time, faces, circumstances, priorities and even people. The workings of the human mind baffle me sometimes. I don't know how we can accept all these changes and still manage to retain our sanity.
Pondering this over I realized that we can't. We can't continue with this walk on our own after all. Just like you can't solve a mathematical equation which has only variables and no constants...you can't survive without having a constant in your life. Life won't make any sense otherwise.
We must have something in our lives that doesn't change with time. Something that anchors us to our past and at the same time helps us to nurture a dream for the unknown future. It could be a person dear to us, it could be something we like to do, it could be a desire or an ambition, or something we firmly believe in, it could even be a song or a few lines of our favorite poetry. It could be anything actually. I have no idea. Because I'm not particularly sure about what my constant is. But I know that I have one too-because without one you can't possibly carry on with everything. Maybe it's a dream that is keeping my sanity intact and at the same time helping me cope with these million changes. Or maybe it's my mom. She has always been there for me no matter what-my best friend, my inspiration, my role-model, my hero.
And as long as I have my constant I'd gladly accept all the changes that are awaiting me. Atleast I think I can.
So what's your constant?

Sig 2

12 comments:

Nightwing said...

you hit the nail on the head....my constant is batman..was there...is there....

Atindriyo said...

Well, I don't have anything constant save my own being....I never had.....My life - it rotates around a million axes.....and it rests on a billion centres of gravity.....
nevertheless....
this one is an excellent piece....great work...ahoy !!!

Samadrita said...

@Nightwing:Batman huh?-an interesting constant to have I must say.
@Atindriyo:I don't believe you.Everyone is supposed to have a constant and you've one too.You just don't know what it is.

Sayon said...

Nice piece !!

Ranjith said...

Nice post....and thinking of Orkut, i kind of stumbled across your profile..thought of wishing you, but ended up with a locked scrapbook...

Samadrita said...

@Sayon:Thanks buddy! :)
@Ranjith:First of all sorry about the locked scrapbook but I keep it that way to avoid getting unwanted scraps from all the 'weirdos' I mentioned in this post.So if you want to scrap me do send in a friends' request mentioning that you're Ranjith.I'll surely add you then.And secondly no need to stumble on my account when I have my profile link on this page itself-click the 'orkut' button and you'll find me.

animita said...

One of the best things you have written so far...according to me though.Ya we do have some sort of constant in our life, but i don't know what mine is,but i'll try to find out. Thanks for writing such a thought provoking piece.

Ranjith said...

oh, i did not see the link...anyways keep your writing going....

Samadrita said...

@Animita:I'm glad you feel that way. :)
@Ranjith:Yea I fully intend to do that.

Sayandeep Kundu said...

to be very honest.. that constant for my life is...my mind..my insanity... and a weeping conscience as i call myself quite often..

Sayandeep Kundu said...

nice piece... intense introspection... really liked it..

Samadrita said...

@Sayandeep:Thanks a lot buddy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...