Monday, July 13, 2009

The Cellphone Syndrome


I was napping this afternoon,having succumbed to the heat. Before that I'd been trying to finish with another Meg Cabot book. But sadly enough my eyes had started to hurt after only 2 hours of reading when usually I can go on for like 4 or 5 hours. Oh by the way we're talking about reading e-books here not ordinary paperbacks. With a paperback I can go on for an entire day without rest or anything.
'This is just great.' I thought.
I was already feeling a bit irritable about my college resuming tomorrow and now on top of that I have this sudden dreadful rise in temperature to contend with. My life couldn't get any worse. Or maybe it could.
'Cause I had just somehow managed to drift into a pleasant state of semi-drowsiness when my mom's stupid cellphone starts ringing. Now this was not a first but everytime this happens I awake with a start. Opening up my droopy eyelids a bit I found much to my chagrin that mom was already in the living room answering the call.
Okay here's the thing about mom's cellphone. It is ALWAYS ringing-24*7. Either it is a call from some lousy bank employee trying to lure her to get a loan she doesn't need or stock alerts through sms-es that keep coming at an interval of 2 seconds all through the morning and noon. You'd think then maybe we have some amount of peace prevailing in our apartment in the evening. But you're wrong. In the evening it's the turn of our cordless phone to spread some er music. Then of course how can I to forget my own damn phone?
Sometimes I get so peeved with the cellphone that my hands itch to switch it off, if not throw the ruddy thing out the window. But then I decide to keep my hands to myself 'cause I don't like the prospect of my neck being snapped in two. Okay I'm kidding. My mom isn't that violent. But then you never know how angry a workaholic lady might get.
When I tell her, 'Why don't you switch it off when you're resting?'
She'd be like, 'I might miss an important call you know.'
So now I pretty much keep my mouth shut when her phone rings.
The way I'm speaking ill about phones might give you the idea that I don't get much calls or something. But that's not the case here. I do get a decent number of calls and sms-es throughout the day. But NOT like crazy. Like most of my peers do and more significantly my mom does.
I have these really close friends A1 and A2 in college and both of them are really awesome and all. And we have a lot of things in common except well..this cellphone addiction thingie. A1 has 4 cellphones and insists on bringing 2 of them to college. And the entire time I'm with her both of them keep ringing alternatively at an interval of not more than a few minutes. And she attends each and every call. So who calls her you say? She has this exclusive number for her boyfriend and very close friends like A2 and me and a few family friends and relatives and another number which most of our other classmates know about.
Same with A2. She has two handsets and often brings both of them to college. Be it during classes or lunch-hour or even when we're supposed to be doing experiments in our labs she can always be found texting someone or the other. And who does she talk to? Ah friends-lots of them. People in our college, people outside our college, old friends from school and lots of net buddies.
But anyway they are the best people I've come across in college. Love you both :)
Then there is this other guy in my college. And whenever I look at him he has his phone to his ears. In the beginning I used to think it's just a coincidence. But now I've started to get a feeling that he might have been born with the thing glued to his ears. I mean he is always on the phone-even while he is having his lunch or walking towards the bus-stand or smoking a cigarette or even when he is ogling at a gang of giggling girls. Amazing multi-tasker innee?
Oh then there are these lovey-dovey couples many of whom talk to each other starting from 11 o'clock at night till 5 a.m. in the morning. No I'm not exaggerating. They ACTUALLY pull off this feat night after night.
You'd think that one would run out of topics to talk about. But then some people have special abilities I guess.
God sometimes I feel strangely out of place.
To be honest it's not like I have never suffered from the whole married-to-my-cellphone syndrome. In fact a coupla years back I'd clutch my phone to my chest carry it around everywhere I went and talk to friends for hours on end. But then I got over it just like people grow out of their teenage years.
Now my phone has become more of an afterthought. I talk to people. I'm not unsocial. However it's mostly people calling me up to know about stuff-like when to submit the lab report, what classes do we have the next day or can I bring some copy or homework the next day or my close pals calling me up to engage in a casual chat. But now I keep things within limits. Sometimes I use GPRS to surf the mobile net, check my mails or blog page. Sometimes I play games when I'm pathetically bored. And most of the other times I make use of the excellent music-player I have to listen to my favorites.
And my phone is always switched off when I'm sleeping.
I guess I don't entertain the idea of my phone controlling every aspect of my life. We've enough gadgets doing that already.

Sig 2

9 comments:

Nightwing said...

very very true...cell phones seem to control most aspects of our lives these days...btw,your friends carry to handsets???me and my father need to have a talk...

wisewit said...

If it'll cheer you up a bit: you're not the only one who feels a bit out of place in the the cell phone world. I've never had a cell phone. When I was in college, I didn't even have a phone at all. I mean, really. No phone. Not just no cell phone, but nothing. Phone service cost too much and I had other things I wanted more. Besides, it was nice not to have to be jumping up and scrambling for the phone all the time. Of course, that made things difficult when there were minor emergencies, but I survived. So, if anyone calls you crazy, you can tell them there's the guy you know who's even crazier! :)

wisewit

Atindriyo said...

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs
that voices never share
And no one deared
Disturb the sound of silence.

These lines were writen much before cellphone was invented...Poets and lyricists are visionaries indeed...

Animesh Ray said...

"God sometimes I feel strangely out of place."

You summed up the whole thing in that single line.

I just imagine that if ppl like them would just donate 5% of their annual talktime and sms budget, it would certainly go a long way to eliminating poverty.

Quintessence Of Illusion said...

Very true...........
keep writing sammy............

Samadrita said...

@Nightwing:You want another cellphone or what?
@wisewit:Thanks that did make me feel better.
@Atindriyo:I think the idea conveyed in the lines you posted suggests online chatting rather than people using phone.Don't you think so?
@Animesh Ray:Yup or maybe if they aren't interested in charity people could spend their own money on better things like buying themselves books or something else.
@QOI:Thanks dear :)

Daone said...

sigh. yeaah. its real pain in the ass thing. i remember a friend who used to have such dual cell life. the conversation-
-HEY OMI
-HEY THERE, WHAT'S...
-JUST HOLD ON, MY OTHER CELL'S RINGING.
after 2 min of me hearing YA, THAT BITCH IS LIKE THAT ONLY...
-OK, SO WHAT WERE YOU SAYING?
-JUST THAT WHAT'S...
-OH HOLD ON DEAR, ITS AGAIN RINGING.
after 5 min of OH REALLY? SHO SHWEET!
-SORRY YAAR. SO WHAT WERE YOU... OH HOLD ON THERE IT GOES AGAIN.
-UHH NEVER MIND.

Daone said...

sigh. yeaah. its real pain in the ass thing. i remember a friend who used to have such dual cell life. the conversation-
-HEY OMI
-HEY THERE, WHAT'S...
-JUST HOLD ON, MY OTHER CELL'S RINGING.
after 2 min of me hearing YA, THAT BITCH IS LIKE THAT ONLY...
-OK, SO WHAT WERE YOU SAYING?
-JUST THAT WHAT'S...
-OH HOLD ON DEAR, ITS AGAIN RINGING.
after 5 min of OH REALLY? SHO SHWEET!
-SORRY YAAR. SO WHAT WERE YOU... OH HOLD ON THERE IT GOES AGAIN.
-UHH NEVER MIND.

Samadrita said...

@daone:Lol that sounds like crazy.Actually it IS crazy to have more than one cellphone.Funny how most people never seem to realize this fact.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...