Sunday, May 10, 2009

Unlucky(?) 13


This goddamn heat is such a deterrent.I had planned to study all evening...ah but well the Lord had different plans for me.I woke up all sweaty from my afternoon nap and found myself to be in a crabby mood once again.But I took out my books anyway.However getting myself to concentrate on whatever I was reading was a different thing altogether.Finally I gave up and decided to respond to mum's repeated summons from the living room to join her.Well she was watching a movie on our local cable channel called 13B.

Does it ring a bell?If it does then good.If it doesn't,then don't worry.I'll refresh your memory or rather tell you about it(in case you've never heard of the movie)

Well it tells the story of Manohar,a middle class working guy,and his family who have shifted to this new apartment at the address 13B something.And like the mother of all horror movie cliches the freakin' apartment is haunted by the ghosts of not 1,not 2...but 8 people who had all been mercilessly bludgeoned to death by a psychopath.(well not exactly...the guy was avenging his brother who'd committed suicide 'cause of the family)

Now of course these spirits are still roaming around in the same apartment they used to live in as a family 30 years ago with the purpose of revenge.And they use a tv(ridiculous huh?) to communicate with the present occupants.And weird things start happening-like Manohar's face appearing distorted in pictures taken with his cell phone inside the apartment,the milk turning sour everyday and the weirdest of all...a tv serial by the name Sab Khairiyat(Everything's fine) airing at 1 o'clock or at 13:00 hours which strangely enough follows the exact story of Manohar and his family's daily life.

Anyway without going into the details,the film ends with the psychopath doc who killed the previous inhabitants,getting killed and everything returning to normal.(Huh as if anyone expected anything different -_-)

The thing is I'm not here to talk about the movie.It is a B grade flick anyway.(Or something between A and B...A-- maybe?)The movie just got me thinking about the superstitions revolving around the number 13.Unlucky 13 to be precise.

Unlucky 'cause Jesus had his Last Supper with his 12 apostles which meant that there were 13 people at the table.Unlucky 'cause King Philip secretly ordered the mass arrest of The Knights Templar on Friday,October 13th,1307.Friday,the 13th supposedly(allegedly may I say) even decided the outcome of the Battle of Hastings in which King Harold 2 got killed!

And who can forget the popular American horror franchise of Friday,The 13th that consists of 12 slasher movies?

A hell lot other bad stuff occurred on Friday,the 13ths.I'm not going into all the details.Check Wiki to get your answers.I'm only typin' this out to highlight the kind of celebrity spotlight any Friday,the 13th enjoys.
I even read somewhere that the famed U.S. president Franklin Delano Roosevelt used to skip work on Friday,the 13ths.

Different studies reveal that the rate of road accidents,thefts and reports of fire are comparitively less when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday than on other Fridays, because people are more cautious or just stay home.(doesn't this kind of prove that Friday,the 13th is a relatively safer day?-_-)

I mean,seriously...WHAT THE HELL?So much fear instilled in the hearts of common people 'cause of a lame number?
I know we all are superstitious in some way or the other.But c'mon isn't this a bit too extreme? -_-

I'm sure if Jesus woulda been alive he woulda asked people to believe in things that actually worked in favour of the greater good...not in some silly superstition that is a hindrance to progress of any kind.

Sig 2

6 comments:

NesQuarX said...

I love the number 13... It's got both unity and trinity in it. And it's despised by most ;) oh, and it's prime!

wisewit said...

Hey, nice going with that article. I've been through a number of Friday the 13th's and I can't remember anything bad happening on any of them. I think there was even one time when something good happened on a Friday the 13th. I've certainly had plenty of bad things happen on other days.

Personally, I like seven better, though. Mathematically it's kind of interesting. It doesn't seem to fit into many of the common patterns even for odd numbers. Something similar can be said for 13, I guess, but seven is the smallest "weird" number and, maybe 13 feels a bit too weird. OK, OK, I know that's silly. Anyway, I like the idea of 13 being unity and trinity. I guess I never thought of it that way.

wisewit

Nightwing said...

13 is unlucky to some..indifferent to some...and lucky to some...for others its pure entertainment...

Samadrita said...

I neither like the number 13 nor hate it.I'm just plain neutral.
The thing is 12 is considered to be a number symbolizing wholeness as in 12 months in a year,12 signs of the zodiac,12 apostles of Jesus.And 13 which exceeds 12 by 1 is sort of a weird number(yes I feel that way too) is probably considered unlucky 'cause of this reason.

GMP said...

I am a Tamil and I have seen the film. We should enjoy the film in the theater and forgot it when we come out. Thats what I think.

Atindriyo said...

There is a Sanskrit phrase : "Shavashuddhi Trayodashii" - It means the number thirteen purifies everything...
See, how different cultures look upon the same number in a different manner...
And the number thirteen has been immortalized by Orwell, in 1984 - the starting lines :
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen"...
The number has a significance, and the earliest instance of this number being considered an omen in Occidental theology is perhaps to be found in the Norse mythology involving Loki's appearance in a feast oganized by the Gods as the thirteenth guest which started a chain of events leading to Götterdämmerung - the twilight of the gods...
Nice work, yours...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...